Randy Livingston joined Stanford University in March 2001 as Vice President for Business Affairs and Chief Financial Officer, and he reports to Stanford President Marc Tessier-Lavigne. As Chief Financial Officer, Randy is involved in setting many of the university’s financial strategies and policies such as endowment payout, debt issuance and cash management. As Vice President for Business Affairs, Randy oversees many of the administrative organizations that provide support for Stanford’s academic mission, including University IT (Enterprise Technology, Research Computing, Communications and IT Facilities, Client Services and Service Strategy), Financial Management Services (Controller’s Office, Treasurer’s Office, Financial Systems and Support, and Procurement), the Office of Chief Risk Officer (Internal Audit, Compliance, Privacy, Information Security and Enterprise Risk Management), Improvement, Analytics and Improvement Services, and Scope 3 Emissions. The Office of Research Administration reports jointly to Randy and the Vice Provost of Research.
Prior to Stanford, Randy spent 16 years working in Silicon Valley with several technology and life science companies as chief financial officer, and in corporate development and marketing roles. He led two companies through IPO’s, founded a company, sold a company and completed several acquisitions of other companies. Previously, Randy worked with McKinsey & Company as a management consultant.
Within Stanford, Randy serves on the Budget Group and the boards of Stanford Health Care, Stanford Children’s Health and Stanford Management Company. Outside Stanford, Randy also serves on the boards of eHealth and Pacific Biosciences.
Randy earned an MBA from Stanford’s Graduate School of Business and his undergraduate degree from Stanford, in Mechanical Engineering.
Business Affairs Team
- Assistant Vice President for Business Affairs Finance and Administration
- Associate Vice President of Research Administration
- Assistant Vice President for Improvement, Analytics, and Innovation Services
- Chief Information Officer, University IT
- Executive Assistant - VP for Business Affairs and CFO's Office
- VP Business Affairs, Chief Financial Officer and University Liaison for Stanford Medicine
- Senior Associate Vice President for Finance
- Senior Associate Vice President and Chief Risk Officer
- Scope 3 Emissions Program Manager
- Director of Financial Analysis and Venture Funds